The August 7th Memorial Trust
The Park is dedicated to the mission of both remembrance and
peace building as it relates to both domestic and international terrorism and violence.
The August 7th Memorial Trust owns and manages the August 7th Memorial Park. The Trust is a Kenyan non-profit organization established in 1999 to take ownership of land in Nairobi at the former site of the U.S. Embassy.
The Trust was also set up with the object of fostering goodwill and peace among men with a view to preventing a repeat attack, and has set up a Visitors Memorial Peace Centre where school students and the public are taught the importance of living in harmony with each other, their neighbours, and the need to condemn acts of violence in society so that peace can prevail.
The Trustee’s main task is:
- To hold the land in trust for the benefit of the Kenyan Public.
- To establish, develop, maintain and manage for the use of the public, a Memorial Park on the said land in memory and honor of the victims of the 7th August 1998 terrorist bomb attack which took the lives of 218 innocent people and injured several thousand others, many permanently.
The Trust is sustained through the gate entrance, hire of the park’s conference facilities to the public, sponsorship, charitable donations and fundraising efforts.
The Management Team
- Natasha Mbugguss – General Manager & Secretary to the Board
- Julia Maina – Accounts & Administrative Assistant
- Esnas Atemi – Cashier & Ticketing Assistant
- Steve Owino – Operations Manager & Caretaker
- George Oningo – Janitor/ Office Assistant
The Trust’s Mandate is
“to be a centre of remembrance and peace-building.”
|Name||Company||Board Members Occupation||Position|
|James Kiragu||Kiragu & Mwangi Ltd||Managing Director||Chairman|
|Ms. Christine Agimba||Government of Kenya||Deputy Solicitor General||Trustee|
|Ms. Eva Muraya||Colour Creations Ltd||Managing Director||Trustee|
|Nazim Mitha||Consultant||Specialist Consultant||Trustee|
|George Kagiri||Architect||Architerion Architects||Trustee|
|Martin Barnard||Alive and Kicking||Director||Trustee|
|George Maina||Haco (K) LTD & DHL- Kenya||Legal Counsel||Trustee|
|Christopher Machin||Embassy of the United States of America, Nairobi||Cultural Attache||Trustee|